Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

Happy New Year!

Thank You 2008 & Welcome to 2009! I'm looking forward to the new year and new resolutions. I've resigned myself to #1 - be more thankful and appreciative for my family & life (mostly my hard-working husband) & #2 - complete a triathlon. Be happy. Be healthy.

On another joyous note, we celebrated Olivia's 4th birthday on Sunday. Actually, the entire weekend was a celebration. I've always loved birthdays, but having kids, I can't help but love, LOVE my children's' birthdays! It's the day they came into this world and came to Chay and me. What possibly could be more precious?

Olivia had a gymnastics birthday party at the Y with her preschool classmates & Y swim friends. She picked out her own Cinderella cupcake decoration and party favors. The smile on her face seeing her friends show up to jump & play that afternoon, priceless. She was such a good hostess too! Every new face walking through the door, she ran over to greet with nametag in hand and party blower. Me barely following with hand puppet kit. (Which by the way, WalMart has these great craft activities for kids, tweens, adults, etc...) Anyhow, the gymnastics portion was a hit and the pull-apart cupcake "cake" was no mess! Perfect combination. :) I can't believe how fast 4 years has gone by. It's amazing to see Olivia coming into her own. So proud.

This year during Olivia's birthday, I find myself thinking back to that week of unexpectedness when she was born. Having thought I had a funny kink in my neck from sleep, I went into urgent care. When the nurse took my blood pressure (3 times) then asked what my BP usually is:

"90/60."

"Because you're reading 174/128".

Needless to say, that night Dec 21st I checked into the hospital. Little did I know of the long journey ahead.

(I was 27 weeks pregnant and naively didn't really think I was going to deliver my baby. I couldn't, it was too early. Way too early! I also had not read any chapters in my pregnancy books past Week 27. I didn't want to freak out about the end weeks and labor. I was pacing myself. Ha! Note to moms-to-be, READ AHEAD!)

I was diagnosed with preeclampsia and told I would be on bedrest. I imagined this to be bedrest in my bed, at home for the next 3 months. The oncall OB all but laughed and said she hoped I'd make it 2 weeks. Seriously?!

I spent one long week sleepless, fluid-retained and uncomfortable. I barely made it one week. My preeclampsia escalated and I had to deliver. I started with natural delivery but due to further complications, I had to have a c-section. Under lots of meds and unsure of everything going on, Olivia was born at 28 weeks and 5 days. She was 2 lbs and 2.7 oz, 15 inches. Ten little fingers and ten little toes. Registering an apgar of 0 but thank goodness for modern day medicine, Olivia spent 74 days in the NICU. She came home on March 9th, one week shy of her original due date March 17th.

Looking back over those very early days...it has been a journey. I'm thankful every day for my Olivia.

Happy New Year to all and wishful thinking to the journeys that lay ahead for each of us!

No comments: