Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tantrums

Olivia just cannot get over things.

I really hope that this is just a toddler phase. The littlest things set her off and then she cannot get past it. Today, after she went potty I accidently flushed the toilet and she had a fit for 45 minutes! Nothing could console the fact that I flushed away her pee. She wanted me to bring it back. Then she proceeded to sit on the toilet until she could pee again. (Which obviously didn't happen.) This upset her even more and the session started all over again. The crying, the pleading to bring back her pee and that SHE wanted to flush it. 98% of the time I can remember and let her flush. But sometimes when she walks away and I flush, she absolutely freaks out! I've tried explaining to her (as rationale as I can be) and she doesn't want any of it.

This just doesn't happen with potty time. If I forget to let her open or close the garage door, I zip her jacket without letting her finish, putting her jacket on without holding her shirt sleeves....you would think I could just repeat the same process and let her do it that time. Nope. That doesn't work either. Usually after an hour, she'll eventually stop her tantrum. But many times throughout the day she'll repeatedly say "I wanted to flush" or in the middle of the night she'll wake up asking for her turn or whatever upset her.

Now really, is this normal? I really, really, really try to have as much patience as I can. But when she gets into these "sessions", there's no stopping her. No calming her down. Nothing. I just don' t know what to do.

Her last pediatrician suggested a psychologist. At first I was taken aback but after a year of these tantrums and no improvements, I think I'm ready to try that route.

No comments: